Saturday, December 6, 2008

Welcome Nathanael Brad Gardner!!!!



11/10/08

Whenever life changing events happen it is necessary to re-examine yourself and to return to the most fundamental steps. Nathanael was born this last Wednesday, he was 7 pounds and 10 ounces, 19 ¾ in. long and is an incredibly handsome baby with dark, wild, Indian looking hair. I thought that in the nine months of preparing for a mother I would somehow transform into the mother of wisdom, but I have found myself becoming more childlike every day. I’ve had to return to the very basic steps in life. Right now these steps consist of food, water, sleep, and diaper changes. (for both the baby and I)

I love being a mom! I am so blessed to be able to have such a sweet child as Nathanael in my home. Jason & I have spent hours, and even days this week just watching him be. It is mesmerizing. He makes the cutest faces. Between the eye-brow moving, the squeaking noises he makes when he sleeps, the way he scrunches his face, the way he tries to look around but is so tired that you see to half open eyes trying to focus, the sneezing, the hiccupping, the smiles, the cute little snore he has because of his smushed nose, his ever moving hands, and the strong little kicks that happen especially when we change his diaper, he is THE cutest.

The midwife came today and says that he is doing great. He had a tint of yellow in his eyes and face (sign of jaundice) but she said that it has peaked and the worse of it has already happened so there is no need to worry. He will just get better. He had lost some weight after birth when we weighed him on Saturday he was 7 pounds even, but I think that we are finally figuring out this breastfeeding thing because in the last two days he has gained 7 or 8 ounces.

Both breastfeeding and birth are harder and easier then I expected. They have caused me extreme discomfort but it is amazing to me that my body is coped with the necessary ability to handle both of these. I thought that after all the hoop-la that labor gets of being the hardest thing that women ever have to do, and after all the warnings about how much pain I would be in. It was so different then I ever expected. Yes my contractions were intense, and I would have told you at some points that it hurt like #*!!, it wasn’t that bad. It wasn’t so much pain as is it labor. It is hard work. But worth every moment of it. (my poor back)

I love learning to be a mom.
Jenilyn

5 comments:

Erin said...

You're back to the blogging world! I'm so glad to hear your thoughts and see another picture of that VERY handsome boy. I hope there's more to come soon.

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this post? He's a cutie Jenilyn! I'm glad your labor was not as bad as you thought it would be. That gives me hope if I ever go through that.

Kira said...

I'm so glad you posted pictures! He's beautiful Jen. Hope to see you all soon.

Jayelle said...

I'm so excited for you guys! He is definitely handsome and that hair! How awesome. You'll be awesome parents!

Lisa said...

Jenilyn, He is so precious! I cannot tell you enough. I hope everything is going well. I cannot wait to see you again.